Rejection is an inevitable part of a writer’s life, and as hard as it is to see a no as something other than negative, it is possible. So here are some quotes to help you face rejection with poise and grace, no matter how frequently you have to do so.
1. To be a writer is to embrace rejection as a way of life. ~ Dana Stabenow
2. Rejected pieces aren’t failures; unwritten pieces are. ~ Greg Daugherty
3. As a writer, the worst thing you can do is work in an environment of fear of rejection. ~ Carol Leifer
4. Rejection slips, or form letters, however tactfully phrased, are lacerations of the soul, if not quite inventions of the devil – but there is no way around them. ~ Isaac Asimov
5. There’s nothing like rejection to make you do an inventory of yourself. ~ James Lee Burke
6. I love my rejection slips. They show me I try. ~ Sylvia Plath
7. I discovered that rejections are not altogether a bad thing. They teach a writer to rely on his own judgment and to say in his heart of hearts, ‘To hell with you.’ ~ Saul Bellow
8. There are two wrong reactions to a rejection slip: deciding it’s a final judgment on your story and/or talent, and deciding it’s no judgment on your story and/or talent. ~ Nancy Kress
9. Rejection is a writer’s best friend. If you are not failing regularly, you are living so far below your potential that you’re failing anyway. ~ Gregg Levoy
10. Writers are a superior breed. No one else can face so much rejection and still thrive. ~ Susie Smith
Do you have any words of wisdom that help you see rejection in a positive light?